Friday, 05 March, 2021

Sufferings of Talla dwellers mount as gas supply remains suspended

Published on: 7:25 pm - Sunday | September 6, 2020


Titas Gas Transmission and Distribution Company Limited (TGTDCL) has stopped supply of gas at Talla area under Fatullah upazila in Narayanganj district over the last three days causing immense sufferings to the local inhabitants.

Locals alleged that the Titas Gas authorities had suspended supply of gas without any miking or prior notice. So, the inhabitants of the densely populated area have adopted alternative ways to cook their food. Finding no other alternatives, they are using dried chopped wood and branches, leaves and twigs, cow dung and rice husk.

Amena Khatun, a housewife at Talla area said, “We have not been receiving gas supply over the last three days. But, cooking doesn’t remain stopped. We are trying to cook food collecting firewood, dried branches, and leaves. We don’t know why Titas Gas authorities have been punishing us.”

It is learnt that several hundred families have been facing untold sufferings due to the suspension of gas supply to Talla area.

A massive explosion at Baitus Salat Jame Mosque in Paschim Talla area of Fatulla under Narayanganj Sadar upazila at about 8:45pm on Friday (September 4) left more than 50 people seriously injured. Of them, 37 received multiple burn injuries throughout their bodies. They were admitted to Sheikh Hasina Burn and Plastic Surgery Institute. Of the injured, 24 have already died.

At the same time, explosion caused widespread damage inside the mosque, leaving six airconditioners totally destroyed. Since then the Titas Gas authorities have suspended gas supply to that area.

There are allegations that the mosque authorities had informed Titas Gas authorities about the leakage of gas eight to nine months ago. Locals alleged that the Titas Gas authorities demanded Tk 50,000 as bribe for repairing the fractured gas pipeline. It has led to widespread criticism of Titas Gas authorities.

Contacted, Fatullah branch manager of Titas Gas said two gas valves have been switched off for “preserving evidence” for investigation.

“We have tried to open the lines today (Suday), but the agencies which are involved in the investigation didn’t allow us to do it,” he said.

Asked whether they had informed the inhabitants through miking, the official said, “We didn’t feel the necessity of miking as everybody here knows about it.”

He, however, could not say how long it would take to start normal supply of gas in Talla area.